BeerGenius is taking a quick break from our canned beer tasting (to resume soon!) to visit some awesome beers from Karl Strauss Brewing Company out of San Diego, California. I had the opportunity to do some blind tastings of their new winter seasonal (the old one was their Red Trolley, reviewed here), a new 22oz bomber entitled Big Barrel Double IPA (Check it out here), as well as their special, 20th anniversary beer entitled “To The 9′s” brewed with 9 different types of hops. Crazy.
Check out the first in the series – Fullsuit Belgian-style Brown below:
- Originality within style (19): A cross between a Belgian Dubbel and an American Brown Ale – this one is a pleasant mutilation (if you’ve ever heard of such a thing) of both styles.
- Nose (16): Caramel, coffee, toffee. A hint of vanilla.
- Mouthfeel (18): A nice full-palate experience – almost creamy in character.
- Character (18): A Belgian-style Brown? In this part of the world? Sign me up. Lacking maybe just a bit of refinement.
- Overall Quality (17): With a name like Fullsuit, it has to be good, right? Well, it is.
- Total (88): A fantastic, well-rounded spiced brown ale with a Belgian twist. Worth your time.
Beer: Karl Strauss Fullsuit Belgian-style Brown Ale
Brewer: Karl Strauss – San Diego, California
Availability: 2000 cases, West Coast
Reviewed by: Jameson Huckaba (twitter: @jamesonhuckaba)