Here’s the third installment in the BeerGenius Karl Strauss series, their 20th anniversary brew called To The 9′s. You can find the first and second installments here:
Check out the video of Karl Strauss’ To The 9′s below.
- Originality within style (20): An Imperial IPA that definitely differentiates itself from the competition.
- Nose (17): Not much initially, a bit of spice, lemongrass.
- Mouthfeel (17): Full mouthfeel, intense assault on the palate.
- Character (18): Bitterness on the back that’s intense; hop varieties all meld together quite nicely
- Overall Quality (18): TONS of components coming together in a refined but unique Imperial IPA.
- Total (90): An interesting, but polarizing, specialty beer that some will love, and some will not.
Beer: Karl Strauss To The 9′s Imperial IPA
ABV: 9.9% ABV
Brewer: Karl Strauss – San Diego, California
Availability: 600 cases, West Coast
Reviewed by: Jameson Huckaba (twitter: @jamesonhuckaba)