I LOVE the Oktoberfest style, and Karl Strauss Brewing Co in San Diego was nice enough to send me a few bottles of their newly-released take on this classic fall style. As the weather begins to get colder, I think people truly begin to appreciate a toastier beer, without jumping off the deep end into ridiculous stouts and porters that have been aging in whiskey barrels for the past however many years.
See our video below for our thoughts on this one:
Really killer, I wish this beer was available in Portland. It would most likely be my volume beer for some time to come.
And here’s the breakdown:
- Originality within style (19): Pure deliciousness that is adherent to the original Munich-style fall lager.
- Nose (17): toasted malt, touch of honeysuckle, caramel
- Mouthfeel (18): marvelous creamy mouthfeel that is remarkably well-balanced
- Character (16): This classic Oktoberfest style isn’t remarkable, but it’s not supposed to be.
- Overall Quality (18): Spot-on. These guys never skimp out on ingredients.
- Total (88): One of the better Oktoberfest iterations I’ve had the pleasure of tasting.
Beer: Karl Strauss Oktoberfest
Brewer: Karl Strauss Brewing Co – San Diego, California
Reviewed by: Jameson Huckaba (twitter: @jamesonhuckaba)